October 2022 - Note from the Saddle Bench

Photo Courtesy of Mattie Sargent


Hello from West Texas!

Looking like we are going to finish out the growing season on a good note. We had good rains across the Transpecos the last few days. Its been a lot of years since we have seen this kind of grass crop. Plenty of weeds too but there was so much bare ground when it rained we were fortunate something came up to hold the ground in place.

Talked to a good customer in Iowa today. He farms lots of country and does a good job of it. He said they have been drouthy and the corn crop would be about 1/2 of normal at twice the production cost. I'm sure that will affect the price of cow cake this winter.

Got to brag on my granddaughter Kelby a little. She is 10 and helps at the shop when she is there. She likes to help with the jewelry and help check people out at the register. The other day, one of the employees told me I should be proud of Kelby; She had just sold a $4,200 necklace. Later on I asked Kelby what she had said to the lady who bought it. Kelby said "Well Grandpa, first I told her my name, then she told me hers. I asked if she would like to see the necklace. She told me she doesn't see many kids my age working. Then she told me 'I see even fewer friendly kids your age working'. Then she bought the necklace." I always told my kids that a good set of manners was worth as much as a college degree. Seems like it might be worth even more today.

It won't be long before hunting season. I've already heard of a couple of bull elk leaving in the back of a pickup.

Sul Ross will be well represented at the WNFR this December with two bull riders and a bareback rider. We wish the best of luck to Tristen Hutchings (bull riding), Ky Hamilton (bull riding), and Cole Franks (bareback riding).

Speaking of rodeo, we just finished the prototype for the Fort Worth PRCA buckles for next year. We have been doing them for about 10 years or so. Always a pleasure to work with them on a new design each year.

Don't forget the WRCA World Championships in Amarillo next month. It's the Grandaddy of them all in the Ranch Rodeo world.


Adios for now,

Gary Dunshee

Comments

Post a Comment